While talking to someone at work or even on the phone I often find myself drifting off where my attention wanders off. This happens even during short say 5 ~ 10 minute conversations. If while talking I try to write down some stuff to that I can remember later, I miss out out the details. Any techniques you guys can suggest for improving on this aspect ?
- Be an active listener, not a passive listener. Give some reaction sometimes during the listening (such as nodding, showing your surprise and other feelings etc.).
- Try to focus on the main subject instead of the words.
- If possible, give feedback about what you just listened sometimes. This will help both to you and your interlocutor to more easily focus.
- Finish your works. A half-finished work may stay in your brain also out of work time and negatively affects your focus.
- (As possible) Do what you like, give up what you hate and boring things. In a boring work, you can not focus optimally and this situation also affects your overall focus performance (IMHO).
- Train yourself to focus. You can perform little focusing exercises in your waste time, on going etc.